Wednesday 28 October 2015

Different world
While me and my friend Ishan were getting bored walking through the crowds at Esplanade on a Sunday afternoon he shouted, "Is there no place in Kolkata where we can hardly find no existence of life?? ". I have earlier heard a lot about South Park Street Cemetery. I told him that I exactly know such a place. "Take me there", he said. Instantly we hired a taxi and in a few minutes we were standing infront of a creepy gate beside a stone inscribed on it "Opened 1767 Closed 1790". Creepy huh. We entered it and signed the visitors copy. The gatekeeper instantly told us its about 4:00pm, it will close by 5:00pm. As we started walking I felt as if it was some different world.
With graves on both sides and leaves all over the floor and also the dim light through trees made the place look perfectly creepy. It would be pretty terrifying in the dark. The place was so silent as if we were in a different world in the midst of a busy city. The best part was the center of the entire place. It was cold even on such a hot day. I was feeling something different there. As if people are watching me. Surrounded by graves on all sides the center of the cemetery was out of this world.The entire cemetery has around 1600 graves. If you walk alone at night you will seriously recall the scenes from The Walking Dead. After being there for half an hour we returned to the gate where we started. Seriously speaking its a huge cemetery. For all those who seriously want to experience goosebumps do visit this place alone.
At the center of the Cemetery

1 comment: